Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Here it goes...

So I have never been one to keep much of a diary, nor share everything that is rattling about in my noggin. I am sitting here bored out of my mind and thought I would start a diary of sorts, and decided to do it here. These blog things seem to be popular, so I wanted to try it out.
Currently I am closing in on the end of my 3rd year of podiatry school. Yes I do like kids, but this has nothing to do with kids, no I do not have a foot fetish, and NO feet do not gross me out. Now that those three common questions are answered we can move on. I feel I have just started to learn things, and apply them in school. That, I feel, is a very big step in these four years of lame schooling. Externships are coming up and I am very excited for that.
I honestly feel I could not make it through this school with the support of my parents, my sis (and her new hubby), and mostly Kim. She has helped me more than she will ever know. Thank you all.
With the small intro out of the way I can now get into what I really want to talk about, running. When I started school in Aug, 2006, I was a chunky butt. Not heavy, but every pound of muscle I had in college went to squish. As awesome as being that lazy was, I hated looking in the mirror. I got here and met some great people. Made a few friends, one really helped me get back on track with my working out. We lifted, ran, swim, spun, you name it, we were all over it just about every day. As before, I dabbled a little bit in triathlons. This has continued my addiction to them...but that will be a later story.
So as school went on, I continued to work out, but not as hard, nor nearly as much. I chubbed up a bit again. Just recently I realized something. At the ripe old age of 26 my body isnt like it used to be. Burger King and McD's can no longer be a staple of my diet. Working out has to be a major part of my life.
December 1. This was the day I chose to do something about it. I began my mile-a-day program. I have to run a minimum of one mile every day, no questions, for one full year. I have been going for something like 37 days straight, and feel GREAT! The first 2 weeks were hard as I was awefully sore just about every day. On those days you better believe I dropped it to my mile minimum, but when I felt better the milage went up.
Back to now. Cold, rainy, snowey, icey days when Im not around a gym I can use, yup, one mile...but now my 1 mile takes much less time to do. I have actually found that I am grouchy and feel crappy until I get my run in. Weird. My good days have gone from running 3 miles to around 5 or 6. This is awesome.
So lemme break today down for ya. Out the door at 7:30 for a wonderful day of crappy boring classes that are as painful to listen to as trying to pull your bottom lip over your forehead. Oh yea, one of them was even postponed for 3 hours too. Real cool. Then I went to Sam's to buy groceries in quantities that someone living alone should never entertain. There was a jar of peeled garlic for 5 bucks. Except this jar has enough garlic in it to feed an army. Lets just say I'll be peeling paint with my breath for the next...year. Lettuce, and all the fixins to make healthy chicken salads for the next month, until I need to go back and do it again (another part of my permanent health movement). Plus snacks, hummus, pretzel rods, you know the drill.
By the time I got home tonight it was 8:30 pm. 13 hours, and sleeting. That sucks. Went to the gym, planning on a one mile day. Got to one mile on the treadmill, felt great, so I decided to do a few intervals. 1 min at 9mph then 1 min at 7 mph. did that for 10 min. Awesome. Way more than I intended. Then I did 3 laps of lunge walks just to put my legs over the top.
So now Im home, tired and have had the idea to do this blog for a little while now. It wont all be running, but I think I may try and focus on that, and the daily issues as a reach for my goal of 1 year. I hope the rest won't be this long, nor this boring. Thanks for reading, I promise it'll get better.

Now go get a towel and clean up, I just got my blog all over your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment